Saturday, November 21, 2009

We are all one....

In Ghana, there is a saying that a mother births her children, breast feeds them until their teeth come in and are strong and fill their mouth. The mother has cared well for her child. Now when the mother begins to lose her teeth and age, it is her child's responsibility to care for her until all her teeth fall out, she dies and passes on. Our stewardess, Ginnie, told me this because she knows that my mother-in-law is dying. We told her yesterday that we would leave to bury her and she started to cry. She could not tell us why she was crying last night, but she told me this morning.

She said that in her heart she loves us and we are her family. She knows that we care for her and give to her from our hearts. She was imaging my mother-in-law and knows that she has dementia and has been very miserable in her hospitalized state. Ginnie says that she has been praying for us, for my mother-in-law, for my brothers and sisters-in-law and for the peaceful passing "under the care of God." She said that she is also sad that as we go back to the states for the HOLIDAYS, that we are not going to be able to gather with her and with our children, her grandchildren, and my mother-in-law will not have a chance to be happy wither her family. Ginnie is sad about this.

With all the challenges that my stewardess lives with, her heart remains generous and open to gift us with her care and love. She and her friend in DQ (Domestic Quarters) stayed up for two hours and prayed for us all last night. She says that we are her family and her heart is with us. This inspires me. I know the challenges she lives with in West Africa and how hard she works to support her family.

I am learning so much about kindness, connection and unity from my time in West AFrica. I am so grateful for the heart of the people here and the ease with which we are able to connect.

Tiwa Tiwa,

Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment